21 ago 2012

A big sketch on the cloth

A big sketch on the cloth: location drawing on the cloth: step 4



At Yakushi-ike park Tokyo, Japan (93 cm X 250 cm)



This was the biggest sketch in size I've ever made. I call this a “sketch” because the way I drew it was as casual and sketchy as my usual sketches. Like this.



at Yakushi-ike Park 2



Just the large one took me 2~3 hours while the small one needed 20~30 minutes.

I needed to draw on the cloth because after finishing drawing, cloth is a lot easy to handle. I can fold it and then iron it later. I used water solvent ink for cloth.

http://www.risonet.jp/category/1181112559996/



First I laid the cloth on the ground and drew quick line drawing with crayon for cloth. I stood on the cloth like calligraphers would do when they make large piece. Then I worked large, shaded all around the dominant objects.



When shading proceeded and the cloth got wet with pigment, I spread my legs and kept striding across the cloth to prevent stepping it.



Gradually I added more subtle details by squinting my eyes. To get right value, squinting really works. And I kept working with whole area simultaneously instead of finishing small area one by one. I always payed attention on relative value. I compare bushes in the foreground against the darkest trunk, the ground against the back ground. I kept asking myself “ Which is darker?”



You know what, later I had muscular pain for three days. (It was a good exercise too.)



These drawings below were also done in the same park.

I'm also taking part in the first Urban Sketchers group show at the Ackland Museum Store, Ackland Museum of Art, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill by contributing these.



A slope



at Yakushi-ike 1



Wish I could come and see the opening (Thursday, August 16).. But I'm thrilled to see the reports here in this Urban Sketchers blog.